differently to the second class!
As far as I’m concerned, making lesson plans is one of the great creative joys in teaching. I know most people dislike them, and I can’t say I love writing them out fully so other people can make sense of them. I know what I’ve labored over and written will be changed on the fly nearly immediately. However, I do love that process of figuring out how to accomplish the tasks needed and having a little fun on the way. Writing it out does help. It’s like a Sudoku, so satisfying when you get everything to fit.
It’s important to me the plans are purposeful, that they engage the students, and that they include several points of (mostly informal) assessment. That’s where it gets messy. Because, even if the students do well at these assessments, sometimes the lesson plan itself does not. Activities drag out too long, or are cut short, could be made more efficient or clearer. They don't suit the level of the students or personality of the class. Maybe I don't have what it takes to pull it off. Lately, it seems there’s always “an app for that”. Sigh!
So my best laid plans often go awry. As they should.
No comments:
Post a Comment