"Lisa" and "Cece"
were sent to school in Canada to learn English and were both in my math
class. When I met them, they tended to
sit apart from the other students. They
were quite withdrawn and kept themselves apart from other students in the
class. Both girls had good numeracy
skills and could answer math questions fairly easily as long as there were no
confounding English words.
When I arrived
mid-term, the class was already set up.
It was flipped, with content lessons occurring on video, accessible on a
class website, and requiring all students to complete information gap notes on
content as homework. This was an
advantage, made possible by technology, because all students could repeat any
parts that were not immediately understood. One thing I noted was that students
had to be explicitly instructed to stop and start the video until they found the
information they were seeking, even though they were far more familiar with the
technology set up than I. Another detail
I might have tried changing for these particular students would have been
changing the focus of the information gap exercise. Lisa and Cece had already learned the math
concepts in their home country, so I might have tried their information gap
focus more on the English math words than the computational examples.
During class,
as we generally worked on the practice questions and I pulled aside small
groups, the girls used their devices to access an electronic dictionary in
their language. Again, they accessed this technology on their own devices. They were diligent in recording any translation in notebooks
set aside for the purpose.
One change I made,
as much as possible, was to simplify the instructional language and to illustrate
questions as much as possible. This doesn’t
sound much like technology, but is only truly possible in an efficient manner
if technology is available to search images and edit questions easily.
Still, the girls
were not really interacting in English with their classmates or with me. They were not successful in solving word
problems. I invested in the relationship,
and they could see I was trying to help them, but we were all frustrated at our
lack of progress.
This was what
inspired me to start taking TESL classes.
It was very hard to see how withdrawn and exhausted the girls were by
the end of every day, and I thought there had to be a better way to engage them.
Last week, I found
myself substituting in the school. Lisa came into the class, shrieked and
hugged me. This exuberant greeting was a departure from her behavior in the
past. It slowly dawned on me that she
told me she was happy to see me in English!
She set up her
computer and put in one earpiece. S-+he
beckoned me over to ask a question in English about her math work. I noticed as
she spoke, she was animated and smiling, and the computer was running a script
of her language. It turns out the school
had made Microsoft Translator available to all students. As she was speaking to me, the program was
translating audibly and in writing. She
was smiling and responding in English.
It seemed a
miracle to me. Not just the English and the
participation with me and her fellow students.
What really grabbed me was her happy demeanor and her confidence. Later I saw Cece in another class and she was
similarly transformed.
It turns out the
school had made Microsoft Translator (Education Version) available to all
students. It has a number of features. It can translate audibly in real time,
recognize images and “pin” a word and pronounce it. It can provide transcripts of audible speech. The difference it has made for these two
students is incalculable. It’s not just
the ability to participate in class, it was the conversation the students generated
when not using the device that has stunned me.
Byrne, R. (January, 2018.)How to Use Microsoft Translator.
[Youtube Video.] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/xWIiS_12wqQ

No comments:
Post a Comment